Federation of Jain Associations in North America
JAINA is Federation of Jain Associations in North America – an umbrella organization that aims to foster friendship and unity among all Jains. JAINA works to advance the key Jain teachings and practices such as: non-violence, tolerance, ecology, compassion and service as well as to facilitate meaningful academic, cultural and business interchanges. JAINA was started with blessings from Gurudev Shri Chitrabhanuji and Acharya Shri Sushil Kumarji. It was initiated at the first Jain Convention held in Los Angeles in 1981 and formalized at the second Jain Convention in New York in 1983. Today, JAINA represents over 160,000 Jains and over 67 Jain organizations, has over 25 active committees and 19 active projects, and has held conventions every two years since 1981. JAINA is led by the JAINA Executive Committee and JAINA Directors.
JAINA’s youth services include:
- Young Jains of America;
- Young Jain Professionals;
- Jain Networking Forum;
- Campus Outreach, connecting Jain students across college campuses;
- JAINA Academic Scholarship Program;
- Jain Youth Exchange Program; and
- JAINA Student Internships.
Young Jain Professionals
YJP’s mission is to increase the awareness and understanding of Jain principles and heritage by promoting networking among Jain professionals, ages 24+.
YJP’s objectives are to:
- Raise awareness of Jain principles;
- Cultivate and foster future leaders;
- Facilitate peer networking;
- Promote and engage in community service;
- Provide guidance to young people interested in a Jain lifestyle;
- Collaborate with other organizations to promote Jain ideals; and
- Provide a forum for succession from YJA to JAINA.