300 Meadow Ave
Scranton, Pennsylvania 18505
Young Jains of America (YJA) presents Mid-Atlantic Retreat 2023 - - a weekend of diving deep into discussions, swooshing down ski slopes, playing hundreds of games, and enjoying out-of-this-world meals in Scranton, PA. The retreat will be taking place from Friday, March 3rd, through Sunday, March 5th, 2023.
A sample detailed schedule from a previous Mid-Atlantic retreat can be found here. The schedule can be changed at the discretion of the Regional Coordinator or other YJA Executive Board members.
You must be between the ages of 14-29 at the time of the retreat in order to register and attend this event. A valid photo ID will be required for registration and check-in.
In light of the ongoing spread of COVID-19, YJA will prioritize the health and safety of all attendees for its in-person events. YJA has outlined its 2022-2023 COVID-19 policies and guidelines on this COVID-19 Liability Waiver. All attendees are required to review and agree to this waiver during the registration process.
2022-2023 YJA In-Person Events COVID-19 Liability Waiver
YJA will closely monitor the feasibility of hosting each event, as well as consistently consult experts in the health industry. Please be prepared in the event YJA has to change or cancel Retreat plans (programs, activities, sessions, etc.), including for the safety of participants during the COVID-19 pandemic. YJA has outlined its cancellation policy below.
Key COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
- It is a requirement that all Attendees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to the first day of the YJA in-person event, utilizing any of the following FDA approved vaccines:
- Pfizer-BioNTech (2 doses),
- Moderna NIAID (2 doses),
- or Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen (1 dose).
- It is a requirement that all Attendees who have received the following WHO-approved vaccines: Covaxin (2 doses), BIBP/Sinopharm (2 doses), Sinovac (2 doses), Novavax/Covovax (2 doses), or Covishield (Oxford–AstraZeneca) (2 doses), must also receive at least a single dose (including booster dose) of one of the following FDA approved vaccines: Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna NIAID, or Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen as well.
- It is a requirement that all Attendees who qualify as eligible by the FDA, have received a single booster dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines.
- It is a requirement that all Attendees must take a valid PCR or rapid COVID-19 test and receive confirmation of a negative result within 72 hours prior to the event’s start time. Attendees must provide proof of the confirmation prior to the event’s start time.
- E.g. If the event starts on Friday (2/18) at 5 PM CT, the attendee must take a valid PCR or rapid COVID-19 test between Tuesday (2/15) 5 PM CT - Friday (2/18) 5 PM CT, receive confirmation of a negative result before Friday (2/18) 5 PM CT, and send YJA the confirmation between Tuesday (2/15) 5 PM CT - Friday (2/18) 5 PM CT.
- YJA may coordinate and conduct COVID-19 testing at the event and that it is a requirement that all Attendees participate.
- If the attendee is immunocompromised, the attendee must receive and present a doctor’s approval to attend the in-person YJA event.
- It is a requirement that all Attendees will follow all YJA mask guidelines that are set prior to or during the event. This includes, but is not limited to wearing N95 and KN95 facemasks indoor and outdoor regardless of vaccination status, as instructed.
- It is a requirement that all Attendees will follow all current State, Federal, CDC, and YJA guidelines and requirements if attendee tests positive for COVID-19 at the in-person YJA event.
- It is a requirement that all Attendees will follow all current State, Federal, and CDC guidelines for the duration of the in-person event.
Other Special Accommodations
By default you may be asked to share a room and bed with another person of the same birth-assigned sex as you. We will also be serving vegetarian Jain food with vegan options. If you need any other health-related or any special accommodations or have any questions, please contact the Director of Events and the YJA Co-Chairs at [email protected]. We want all members to attend YJA events regardless of their identities, background, pre-existing health conditions, etc. and will attempt our best to accommodate requests.
YJA has outlined its 2022-2023 in-person events rules and regulations on this document. All attendees are required to review and agree to these rules and regulations during the registration process.
Official 2023 YJA In-Person Rules and Regulations
Key Rules and Regulations
- Please be respectful of other attendees in your speech and actions. Any inappropriate comments, language, and actions will not be tolerated.
- There is a strict policy against the possession of or consumption of any alcohol, tobacco, marijuana, or illegal substances at any time during the retreat.
- Please be respectful of the retreat site property including, but not limited to everything within the lodging room.
Those who are reported to have acted inappropriately or to have significantly impacted others’ retreat experiences in a negative way will be subject to consequences at the discretion of the Regional Coordinator and other members of the YJA Executive Board present at the retreat.
We want to state the boundaries of the event clearly to ensure that everyone learns, grows, is respected, and has fun! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email [email protected].
YJA attempts to make its events affordable for all attendees. The registration fee includes accommodations, meals, educational materials, COVID-19 antigen tests, a retreat t-shirt, access to all sessions and activities for the weekend, and much more. Any extra transportation costs are not included.
|1/6 - 1/21||Phase 1||$145|
|1/22 - 2/21||Phase 2||$155|
|1/6 - 2/21||Phase 1 with Donation||$165|
Phase 1 with Donation
We would greatly appreciate it if you could help YJA by choosing the Phase 1 with Donation pricing option at the time of payment. This would help us raise the money we need to ensure YJA remains affordable for as many potential attendees as possible.
We want to ensure that financial reasons are not a barrier for YJA members from attending YJA events. Please fill out this Financial Assistance Google Form if you would like to be considered for financial assistance for a YJA 2022-2023 Retreat. Financial assistance will be awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis until our allocation of funds is exhausted.
Skiing, Snowboard, and Snow Tubing are available to all attendees to purchase. There are multiple options that you can add to your retreat experience, depending on your preference and experience. Participating in skiing, snowboarding, and/or snow tubing is 100% optional. With attendee safety in mind, YJA will continuously monitor the progression of the COVID-19 pandemic. Based on what is deemed safe, the other activities may be canceled to protect the safety of our attendees.
|Lift Ticket (*Required if skiing or snowboarding)||$40|
|Helmet Rental (*Required unless you bring your own)||$15|
|Ski Lesson ( Does not Include lift ticket, ski rental, and helmet rental)||$20|
|Snowboard Lesson ( Does not Include lift ticket, ski rental, and helmet rental)||$20|
|Snow Tubing - 2 hrs (Helmet not required)||$35|
The registration fee for the Retreat is non-refundable after the registration closing date of the Retreat. You can request to cancel your registration by emailing [email protected]. To receive any refund, you must request a cancellation at least 72 hours before the registration deadline. To receive a full refund, your cancellation request must also be within 72 hours of your registration. If YJA cancels your registration after the 72 hour window following your registration, you will receive at least a partial refund. No refunds will be issued after the Retreat registration deadline. Please contact [email protected] with any other questions or requests.
YJA reserves the right to change or cancel Retreat plans (programs, activities, sessions, etc.), including for the safety of participants during the COVID-19 pandemic. No refund requests will be entertained due to any such changes or cancellations. YJA is not responsible for any charges associated with these changes or cancellations (travel, accommodations, etc.).
What if I can’t/don’t want to get vaccinated against Covid-19?
Attendees are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to attend 2022-2023 YJA in-person events unless they present a legitimate doctor’s note clearly detailing exemption for the stated individual. There will be YJA virtual event opportunities available throughout the year.
What does the registration cost cover?
The registration cost includes lodging, food, educational materials, COVID-19 antigen tests, and t-shirts. Each attendee is responsible for additional charges such as transportation.
Will I need to bring extra spending money?
You won't be needing any money at the retreat itself, but we recommend bringing extra money in case of any emergencies.
What kind of clothes do I need to bring?
Keep in mind that we’ll be doing various indoor and outdoor activities and playing games late at night, so bring comfortable shoes and clothing for these activities. Otherwise, it’s up to you, but just remember to keep your clothes appropriate for a YJA retreat.
Will there be any doctors on-site?
As of right now, there will not be any doctors on site, but safety is our first priority and basic first aid supplies will be available.
How long are we going to be in sessions?
Most sessions will be between 60 and 90 minutes long. There will be ample time in between sessions for snack and restroom breaks.
What if I have to leave during the retreat?
To ensure attendee safety, we ask everyone to remain on the premises for the duration of the retreat unless authorized to do so by the YJA Executive Board. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.